NASCAR has launched the first, known as NASCAR Fantasy Live. Fans can now register for the 2011 Sprint Cup Series season, set a roster of five drivers (with a $100 salary cap) and then buy a driver low and sell them high based on how their driver performs.
The scoring system for NASCAR Fantasy Live is made to allow fans to easily understand. Drivers earn points by their finishing position, place differential from the start, pass differential, laps led and fastest laps. The scoring is broken down over five different categories. Using Jimmie Johnson as an example:
- If Johnson were to win a race he would score 43 points
- If he started the race in the 14th position and finished third he would earn 11 points
- If he passed 18 cars under green and was passed four times he would score 14 points
- If he were to lead 72 laps, his score would be divided by two and he would earn 36 points
- If he ran 15 fastest laps during the race he would score 7.5 points
NASCAR Fantasy Live is free to register for all participants over 21 years old. There is a grand prize for a three day, two person trip to 2011 NASCAR Year-End Awards Banquet in Las Vegas. The three Segment winners will receive $100 for NASCAR.com’s Superstore.
Through the 2011 season Sprint Cup Series season, I will be posting updates and tips on who could be considered a favorite and a potential buy for an upcoming race in the IMS Blog. Fellow Brickyard fans can comment with their tips and recommended buys as well. All along we’ll be counting down to the 2011 Brickyard 400 race this July.